Guy's MarshA Memorial Wetland Restoration Project
In recognition of his many contributions, a special marsh restoration project is being planned as a lasting tribute to Guy’s memory.
The project will protect and restore habitat for waterfowl and marsh birds, and provide excellent opportunities for public enjoyment of wildlife at a site located within the 50,000 acre Montezuma Wetlands Complex, 30 miles west of Syracuse, New York.
This was a favorite place for Guy and his students to visit.
Guy Andrew Baldassarre
February 14, 1953 - August 20, 2012
- a Distinguished Teaching Professor at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
for 25 years, where he specialized in ornithology and wildlife management
- a caring and enthusiastic mentor for hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students
- an internationally respected waterfowl biologist, wetland ecologist and researcher
- author of “Waterfowl Ecology and Management”, the premier text book on this topic
- author of a forthcoming edition of “Ducks, Geese and Swans of North America”
- a recipient of the Wetlands Conservation Achievement Award from Ducks Unlimited
- a loving and devoted husband, father, brother and son
- an energetic and passionate champion of waterfowl and wetlands conservation
“Guy’s Marsh” Project Updates
Update October 29, 2018 – Current conditions at Northern Montezuma WMA, with Howland Island marshes being the exception, are generally dryer than normal. Seneca River water levels are currently rising, but remain low, with some associated impoundments being relatively...read more
We put the drone up Friday for her first workout and took a few pics. It's tough getting whole marsh pics at places like Marten's Tract or Guys Marsh without flying higher than is legal or being at an angle that makes it tough to pic out detail. You can see in some...read more
Friends, family, colleagues, co-workers, and former students have contributed more than $20,000 to help ensure that “Guy’s Marsh” would become a reality. an 80-acre area of State-owned land was selected for the project Ducks Unlimited...read more
August 20, 2013 marked one year since the passing of Dr. Guy A. Baldassarre, Distinguished Teaching professor at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF). Guy was an internationally respected waterfowl and wetland ecologist...read more