- This event has passed.
Robert F. DeRoo Memorial Youth Conservation Waterfowl Hunt
October 1, 2016
Youth Ages 12-15 to Participate in this Event Celebrating Conservation Through Sportsman Activities
Young hunters and their adult mentors are cordially invited to attend the Ninth Annual Robert F. DeRoo Memorial Youth Conservation Dinner and Pheasant and Waterfowl Hunts at the Montezuma Audubon Center in Savannah, NY. The dinner will be on Friday, September 30, 2016 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., the Waterfowl Hunt will be on Saturday, October 1, 2016 and the Pheasant Hunt will be on Saturday, October 8, 2016. This is a free event to celebrate conservation through hunting.
The hunts are being coordinated through efforts of the Montezuma Audubon Center, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Duck’s Unlimited, the Wayne County Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
In order to participate in the hunt, you must:
- be between 12 and 15 years of age;
- possess a New York State issued Hunter Safety Certificate;
- have a current 2016-2017 Junior Hunting License;
- have an appropriate firearm for hunting waterfowl/pheasant;
- possess a NYS Waterfowl Identification Certificate for Refuge waterfowl hunt. If you don’t, you can participate in the NYSDEC waterfowl hunt;
- attend with a parent/mentor that possess a New York State 2016-2017 hunting license, a 2016-2017 Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp to participate in the waterfowl hunt. The Wayne County Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs will find a hunting mentor if one cannot be confirmed.
Please note, since this is a youth hunt, adults will not participate as hunters. In addition, it is mandatory for all youth hunters and mentors to attend Friday evening’s dinner, as it is part of the hunt.
Please direct any questions about firearms, the pheasant hunt and NYSDEC waterfowl hunt to NYSDEC Police Lieutenant Matt Lochner at 315-836-6137 or via email at email@example.com. For questions regarding the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge waterfowl hunt, please contact NYSDEC Officer Scott Angotti at 315-568-5370 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is limited availability for participants and registration is on a first come-first served basis. There are 25 spots for the youth pheasant hunt and 20 spots for the youth waterfowl hunt.
Registration for the conservation dinner and hunts should be directed to Montezuma Audubon Center Environmental Education Specialist Donna Richardson at 315-365-3588 or via email at email@example.com. You must indicate if you want to participate in the waterfowl hunt, pheasant hunt, and if space allows, both hunts. Major support for the Ninth Annual Robert F. DeRoo Memorial Youth Conservation Dinner is provided by the NRA Foundation and Bass Pro Shops.